Boosting Literacy and Numeracy Skills for Roma people
Roma people form Europe’s largest ethnic minority and have for centuries constituted an integral part of the European society. But despite efforts at national and European level to improve the protection of their fundamental rights and the advance in their social integration, many Roma still face severe poverty, profound social exclusion, barriers to exercising their fundamental rights and discrimination. These problems affect their access to quality education, which, in turn, undermines their employment and income prospects, housing conditions and health status, curbing their overall ability to fully exploit their potential. Improving the educational situation of Roma is a critical test of the EU’s ability to achieve progress in the inclusion of all extremely marginalised and socially excluded groups. Within this context, the participation of Roma in adult learning has continued to fall, from 9,8 % of the 25-64 years old population in 2005 to only 9,1 % in 2020, thus failing to achieve the increased “ET2020” target.
Objectives of the project
Roma Plus project aims at the development of a new thriving peer learning experience for Adult (low-literate) Roma, increasing attractiveness of training and reducing drop-out rates, while enhancing the skills and competences of adult Trainers/Teachers in the use of new adult training techniques, tailored to the Roma cultural background.
The primary objective, is going to be achieved, through two supplementary objectives:
- Enhancement skills and competences of adult educators working with Adult Roma with low literacy.
- Development of peer learning material that will target low literate Roma Adults, creating a learning experience that will increase their literacy skills and competences
Expected Main Results
The main expected results of the project are:(Countries of implementation: Czech Republic & Greece)
- OER are going to be developed for the training of Adult Roma teachers/trainers in the full utilization of peer learning activities and the design of training programs suitable to the specific needs of each group of Adult Roma
- Joint Staff training (C1) on the material developed under IO1 and IO2 for the engagement of Adult Roma learners in their increase of literacy levels.
- At least 10 adult teachers / trainers are going to be trained during the Joint Staff Training event (see C1 in Learning, Teaching, Training Section)
- More than 60 Roma Adults are going to have been trained through the new peer learning experience that will have been developed during IO2
- More than 100 Roma learners are going to benefit from the project, resulting to their participation in the MooC platform
- More than 3 Roma Associations/representatives are going to become “ambassadors” and “promote” the added value created through the Roma Plus project.
- Intellectual Output 1: Design and delivery of a Roma Adult Educators Upskilling Material in the form of OER
- Activity 1.1: Training Needs Analysis and definition of Learning Outcomes
- Activity 1.2: Preparation of an e-portfolio of OER for Adult Roma Trainers
- Activity 1.3: Adaptation of e-portfolio to country specific context
- Activity 1.4: Design the MOOC Platform & uploading of the material
- Intellectual Output 2: Design of peer learning activities
- Activity 2.1: Desk research of current peer learning strategies in adult education
- Activity 2.2: Design of peer learning activities tailored to increase Roma Literacy
- Activity 2.3: Preparation of Train-the Trainers guidebook for delivery of training to Roma Population
- Activity 2.4: Digitalization of Material and uploading to the e-platform
- Intellectual Output 3: Guidance to Roma Adults using OER and peer learning activities
- Activity 3.1: Call for participants – Roma Population
- Activity 3.2: IDelivery of peer learning activities to Roma through the use of OER
- Activity 3.3: Evaluation and certification (using Europass) of Roma literacy training
- Activity 3.4: Fine tunning of OER and peer learning activities
- 4 Project Meetings
- 1 Joint Staff Training
- 4 Multiplier Events
Latest Project News
REACT - Kick-off Meeting Call: E+ 226 – Partnerships for Digital Education Readiness in the field of VET with BK-con as Partner. On the 9th of April the Kick-off meeting of the newly awarded project with Partners from Germany, Sweden, Italy, Greece and CyprusDuring...
International Roma Day 2021 The 8th of April is devoted to Europe's largest Ethnic minority. Learn how we contribute to closing the gap between communities Annually, on the 8th of April, we celebrate the International Roma Day, devoted to Europe's largest ethnic...
CUBE Project Awarded Call: E+ 227 – Creativity with BK-con as Applicant. We are very pleased that our application for the increase of entrepreneurial skills in Culture and Creativity has been awarded by the German NA.CUBE desires to help artists to acquire skills and...