Innovative Training Curricula for Drone Controllers
Over the past few years, commercial applications of the drone technology and its growing impact can no longer be ignored. Drones or UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) are piloted by remote control or on-board computers through a combination of computer vision, artificial intelligence, and object avoidance technology. While some jobs may be made obsolete by drone technology, more jobs will be created to man the drones and ensure an efficient system in the delivery of services for various industries.
Drones have already proved their usefulness in crisis situations, for example, when medicine or antidotes needed to be delivered in hard to reach areas, in urban planning, geographical mapping, archaeology and agriculture. Postal operators also realize the benefits of the drone deliveries in their everyday business, especially the possibilities of using a drone in the delivery of letters and parcels between post offices.
But the issue is, aside amateur use for personal purposes, there is no Training Programs in the market for people to cultivate their drone skills to have broader options in the labour market, pursuing the position of the drone controller.
Our project addresses exactly this need and opportunity, aiming at the realization of a training material for using UAVs on parcel delivery available on three e-learning platforms.
To foster employability, socio-educational and personal development, as well as participation in civic and social life our project proposal aims to develop a curriculum, which better meets the needs of individuals and the labour market.
That way, our project is related with the Horizontal Priorities of the Programme: Supporting opportunities for all in acquiring and developing key competences. Our project will develop partnerships between Postal Operators, Training Institutions, ICT companies and VET providers aiming at promoting and providing initial and/or continuing training to their staff in order to help people to gain practical skills for their job and to effectively integrate these career pursuits into their work setting which is in line with the VET priority: Enhancing access to training and qualifications for all.
Objectives of the project
The project’s objectives include:
- Design and delivery of updated training material for using Unmanned Areal Vehicles (UAV) on parcel delivery available on three e-learning platforms.
- Upskilling of Postal Employees who will learn how to operate drones
- Postal Sector fit for purpose for the use of Drones in service provision when the EU regulations will be in place and the National Aviation Authority will adapt and implement them at the national level.
Expected Main Results
The main expected results of the project are:(Countries of implementation: Czech Republic & Greece)
- An occupational Profile for “Drone Flyers” adapted to the Postal Sector will be developed
- Tailored and state of the Art Training Material and a Syllabus for “Drone Flyers” is going to be designed, delivered and accessible as OER
- Postal Employees trained and upskilled in a tailored sectoral curriculum
- Sector ready to launch “drone delivery” of parcels provided that legislative framework will allow it
- Intellectual Output 1: Conduction of a current needs analysis in skills mismatches for UTM/UAV Controllers
- Activity 1.1: Implementation of a desk research including institutional analysis and identification of best practices
- Activity 1.2: Implementation of a field research including a qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Activity 1.3: Synthesis of a TNA report
- Activity 1.4: Drafting of Code of Conduct
- Intellectual Output 2: Preparation of Training Courses for “UTM/UAV controller”
- Activity 2.1: Preparation of an Initial Occupational Profile using a two days’ workshop per country.
- Activity 2.2: Conduction of a Validation Workshop
- Activity 2.3: Management Review and finalization of Occupational Profile
- Activity 3.4: Development of Curriculum including Training Material & Synthesis of a TNA report.
- Intellectual Output 3: Development of a Training programme for Drone Controllers
- Activity 3.1: Training programmes design and selection of training methodologies and means
- Activity 3.2: Implementation of peer learning activities
- Intellectual Output 4: Implementing the curricula to relevant personnel and certification
- Activity 4.1: Redesigning and tailoring the prototype UAVs HERMES to meet training needs
- Activity 4.2: Trial flights for the transportation of products and services at certain areas specified by the partners
- Activity 4.3: Review and feedback
- 5 Project Meetings
- 4 Multiplier Events
Duration: 11/2020 – 10/2022, 24 months
Budget: 214.382 Euro
Countries: Croatia, Greece, Cyprus, Germany
Project Number: 2020-1-HR01-KA202-077791
Latest Project News
AgriFood4Future aims to develop vocational training skills and educational programmes that meet the needs of the "agriculture of the future"
Design and delivery of an OER capacity building programme tailored to the civic skill gaps of Roma adults: "Social Pathways for Civic Engagement of Roma adults in the EU"